Subject: [Leica] I'm back and resubscribed
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Thu Sep 2 17:16:16 2004

> The IBM disk have a way of braking down in the most devastating ways - we
> have had quite a few hardisk brake downs over the years but especially the
> IBMs have been a fortune to fix when we needed the data and had to send
> them
> od to the data rescue company - the other disks - i think seagate mostly -
> all just had to have some small thing replaced and they were up and
> running - no idea why :-) - did i do my back up to day - yes even I learn
> from mistakes

This was exactly my experience. IBM disks, when they fail, fail suddenly and
catastrophically and your data is gone forever. They also seem to be much
more heat-sensitive than the other brands. I think that if you keep an IBM
disk at 10 Celsius it is much less likely to fail.

The disk industry has all changed technology in the last 18 months. If you
take apart a current-generation 160GB disk you will probably find just one
platter inside. It used to take 4 or 5 platters to do the same thing. The
newer technology was less reliable at first, but so much cheaper that all of
the disk companies had to cut over to it at once. It's now pretty much
stabilized.

Maxtor disks are fine unless you do a lot of reading from them. Writing they
can handle, but if you spend 12 hours reading from a Maxtor disk with no
let-up (as, say, a search engine like Google would be wont to do), the disk
controller may well get so hot that it will desolder itself and some of the
chips fall out.

Replies: Reply from locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke) ([Leica] I'm back and resubscribed)
Message from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] I'm back and resubscribed)
Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] I'm back and resubscribed)