Subject: [Leica] WTB: Large Format Lens
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Thu Sep 2 17:18:11 2004

Jim Hemenway wrote:
> I use a convertible Protar 300mm and 590mm on my
> 11x14.  It's a great  lens and is less expensive than those
> that you mention.
>
> Here is a photo taken with it with one cell, as a 590mm:
> http://www.hemenway.com/CharlesRiverProtar590.jpg

I have the opportunity and misfortune to have seen
the original 11x14 slide of:
http://www.hemenway.com/CharlesRiverProtar590.jpg

The image you see on the screen is nothing compared
to the original.   Imagine a slide bigger than most people's
proofs.   Why misfortune you might ask ?  because I have been
thinking about becoming an ulfer ever since.   And I used to laugh
at people using anything bigger than 4x5.  Good thing I have
a sense of humour.  Soon I can laugh at myself all the time.

As they don't make 11x14 color film anymore, it will be the ultimate
Zen experience for me:  I will be lugging the camera to far away
places, spend hours seeking the perfect composition, load the
camera with empty film holders, remove the dark slide and go
click.

All kidding aside, Jim's slide is just gorgeous in person.

By the way Frank, I use a 300mm Schneider G-Claron on
an 8x10, and that works out pretty well.  There is a 300mm
Fujinon A on the auction site.

- Phong

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] WTB: Large Format Lens)
Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] WTB: Large Format Lens)