Subject: [Leica] the future happened yesterday
From: daniel.ridings at muspro.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Thu Sep 2 23:05:42 2004

> I shoot 95% B&W, mostly Tri-X now, and I like to work in the darkroom
> while listening to either music of my choice (and at my volume) or talk
> radio (in Canada this is usually CBC).

Well, we wouldn't be able to work in the same darkroom :) (Unless we like
the same programs, music).

> For me, the whole point is to do something I love to do, using the
> equipment of my choice. For now it's Leica M or SLR camera's and even
> more importantly Leica glass and some quality time in the darkroom.
> Economics is secondary to the experience.

I can understand that, even though my situation is not the same. Economics
are not secondary. What is primary for me by a long shot is time. Since it
takes so much time to do prints in the darkroom, I find myself not doing
them. And when I do get around to it, it takes hours or even a couple of
days. That's a couple of days in the dark and when you live far north, you
simply do not want to be in the dark unecessarily.

> I'll look at Leica's upcoming digital back for my R8 when it is released
> for sale and either buy it or wait some more to see the digital M.

I wasn't necessarily thinking of going all digital. I don't find myself
yearning for a digital M or a digital R. I have a digital camera and
there's nothing wrong with it, other than it's big and I prefer the
compact body of an M. I've been eyeing the Canon A and S series to fill
that bill. I don't see the point of a digital Leica. Glass is simply not a
primary concern in digital photography. Software engineering is. Leica is
just not there.

But all of this is of practical interest for me. I've been asked to do an
exhibit. I have about a year (well, 11 months and 3 weeks) to get it in
order. I'm seriously considering going with digital prints, even though
the capture was on film. The idea of spending all of those days in the
darkroom does not appeal to me (unless I can get my wife in there too). I
think I'm too social to want to spend hours alone in the dark. I too shoot
mainly (99%) b/w. I haven't been very successful with color ... until I
started using digital.

I don't know why I do all of this. It might be because I like it, but I'm
not real sure about that. I know it's because I feel uncontrolably
compelled. Probably nothing professional help wouldn't be able to take out
of me.

Best,
Daniel