Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V26 #262
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat Sep 4 06:33:19 2004

At 1:52 AM -0500 3/18/04, Keith V Johnson wrote:
>"  Only a
>rank beginner would worry which way the knob turns."
>
>     That?s either the funniest or most pathetic statement I've read in a
>while.
>     FWIW, I've carried both the MP and the TTL simultaneously on several
>assignments over the last year.
>      During a couple of tough situations I found myself rolling the shutter
>dial on the M6 the wrong way. No lost shots, no big problems. When the
>chance to trade for a Non TTl came up, I figured I'd just put the thought
>out there in case there was something I hadn't thought about.
>       I've been shooting for what I describe as a long time. I've carried
>several kits at once on many jobs, and I've always preferred to have
>consistency within each system. Even when I couldn't afford it.
>     Anal retentive?, maybe. Rank amateur? No. Been doing this,
> successfully,
>for way too many decades to hear that and be quiet.
>     My TTL is not ratty, and the camera I'm trading for is in identical
>condition. I know mine has had way more film thru it though. I'm going to
>make the trade tomorrow. It will be an even swap, between friends.
>     I always preferred the smaller non ttl body, and the added bonus of not
>having the dials opposed is a good thing. Plus, the TTL doesn?t fit my
>Visoflex with the 90 degree finder. Yes, I said Visoflex.
>     One more note, the TTL has some issue with one of my dink flashes,
>whereas the non ttl seems to get along with everything including my pocket
>wizards.
>     So that?s it for now I suppose.

I think this gets to the heart of the problem. I can shoot with a
number of different systems at the same time, but the cameras should
not be _nearly_ the same. If I grab a Hasselblad SWC, I know what to
do with it, and if I thereafter use a CamboWide or a Leica or Mamiya
MF, I don't make mistakes either, but if I have one Leica with a dial
that goes one way, and then an _almost_ identical Leica with a dial
that goes the other way it's quite easy to make a mistake.

If I'm working on the ground, have time and am shooting a building
that isn't going anywhere; not problem. On the other hand, if I'm in
a plane or climbing on the outside of a slipform, there are other
concerns which take my attention, and slight variations in handling
can lead to mistakes.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design