Subject: [Leica] a very old lens question
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Sat Sep 4 06:33:25 2004

sorry to interrupt the digital debate, but i was at a camera show today and
picked up, rather cheaply ($35) a 127 mm Leica Anistigmat, F 4.5, for screw
mount, marked "Made in USA" no less. I presume it is one of the lenses Leica
USA
had made during World War II, deliveries from the factory being somewhat
difficult at that time.

It's not in bad shape -- one dent in the focus collar, lens looks clear --
or
at least as clear as an uncoated optic can look -- seriel no 439190.

If this seriel number follows the Leica series, it would have been made in
1938 or thereabouts, which blows the World War II theory, and my Mckeon's
talks
about the 127 mm Wollensak, but doesn't mention a Leica Anistigmat, although
one assumes Wollensak made it.

Anyone know if this is true? If not what the true story is? How many of
these
were made? If it was made during the war or not?

will be trying it out on a IIIc, just to see   how it performs. My Imarect
doesn't have a 127 setting, but   135 is close enough and leaves a margin of
error in my favor. Construction on this is very good by the way -- very
solid and
precise, very Leica-ish, and I'm glad, once again, to be supporting good
solid American craftsmanship, even if i did have to reach back 60 years to
do so.

thanks,

charlie trentelman