Subject: [Leica] Re: shakleton's photos faked?
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Mon Aug 23 07:14:04 2004

um, this is nothing new. I have several books about that expedition,
including the one by shackelton, and several of them do say that the photo
of the men
being "rescued" is really the one taken when the boat left (or is it the
other
way around? I can never remember). Nobody is sure why hurley felt a need to
do it, except perhaps to meet the demand for the dramatic moment.

whatever. I don't see this taking away a bit from his achievement of (a)
getting some of the most amazing photos taken under unimaginable trying
circumstances and (b) coming home alive.

photography was still in its infancy then, remember, and the line between
art
and photography was blurry. They didn't have the "thou shalt not manipulate"
ethic we have now in journalism. They used the tool to portray what
happened,
and sometimes you have to change the image to convey the feeling.

not sure why someone feels a need to bring this out again, except it is the
final survivor talking, but he has nothing new to say and I'm very
disappointed
the Guardian, generally competent, chose to forget to say that.

c trentelman

Replies: Reply from jem.kime at ntlworld.com (Jem Kime) ([Leica] Re: shakleton's photos faked?)