Subject: [Leica] advice needed- motor winder or drive for the R9
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Sep 5 13:58:11 2004

Eric asked:

>>Is there any major downside to the R8 motor winder vs the motor drive if 2
fps is enough for me?<<

Eric,
If you're satisfied with the winder as an automatic film advance then why
change?

I see no downside to the motor simply because I've always used 3 of them on
whatever 3 Leica SLR cameras I was using at the time since 1969. The motor
is a must for me anyway as I only have sight in my left eye and the camera
always must come away from my eye to advance film. Of course it never fails
that's the moment  of precisely the moment of peak action. :-)

The R8-9 motor works beautifully and only on occasion have I used the
auto-bracketing feature. Why? Well everytime Sandy and I go on an assignment
where I decide to bracket a shot and I bang off a half dozen auto-bracketing
situations she's giving me a hard time about wasting film! ;-) And she's
usually correct. :-)

But if you find the winder an adequate tool, I don't think you'd find any
advantage in the motor-drive.

Only possible advantage?  The motor is faster at advancing even one frame at
a time. I couldn't cope with the slowness of the winder even as an advancing
tool.

ted

Replies: Reply from joecodi at clearsightusa.com (J. Codispoti) ([Leica] Ink/Cartridge Advice Please)