Subject: [Leica] iconic shape
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon Sep 6 15:33:45 2004

I think there are two trends in the iconic thing.  For people
photographically aware in the fifties to the millennium, the M shape is
what a Leica is supposed to be: the M5 bombed largely because it did not
look like a Leica.  Even the M3 is very closely related to the LTM's in
shape and use although somewhat larger.  The leicaphiles were not sure
of the M3 as LTM's were not discontinued until what 1961 or so?

The M3 shape became an icon because that is what the professional users
used and the shape was out there for fifty years in a loose sense.

Think about Nikon, the iconic shape is the F with a Photomic on top.

As to current or future Leicas becoming an icon, they are too small to
change the course of photography these days.  I am not sure any camera
will become an icon any time soon as the imitation cycle is down to six
months.  If somebody comes up with a good solution, everybody has
something similar in the next cycle.

In fact, I am not sure that anything will become an icon with the
exception of the little glowing apple on some laptops :)

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com