Subject: [Leica] OT: Safe Storage - now "day for night"
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Thu Sep 9 06:06:06 2004

No, it's for Color.

But it might work in B&W, too.
On the other hand, in that case I might go for a neutral density filter,
with small apertures and underexposure.

I also think light conditions are pretty important: sunshine will work
better than clouded, side to backlight will work better than frontal light.
Avoiding shots where one can see the shadow casts on the ground also helps.
You see this technique quite often in cheap movies: immediately recognizable
because it looks as it's shot at night, but it has these typical shadow
casts that you get when shooting with the sun in full blaze.

When used (except for Mr. Truffaut himself, ofcourse), it's because:
a) the movie star wants to sleep at night;
b) the crew cost of shooting at night is about double to the cost for
shooting during the day, and there is no budget for that;
c) the director has heard about Truffaut and wants to be Truffaut himself;

I also suspect the true inventor of nuit am?ricaine is Ed Wood. He was a
genius in inventing cheap ways of producing a movie.

---