Subject: [Leica] From Editor and Publisher: Reporters hasseled at RNC
From: kenf01 at gmail.com (Ken Firestone)
Date: Thu Sep 9 09:44:33 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:28:58 -0700, Jon <jon.stanton@comcast.net> wrote:
> I was in Chicago in 1968....A student at Roosevelt Univ and the Chicago
> Conservatory... lifelong resident of Chicago....The student body at
> Roosevelt was pro active in organizing protest groups for the
> convention.....the Conservatory students were more concerned with forming
> musical groups....I fell into the second group...

I was in Chicago in 1968 too. Took pictures on the Sunday before the
convention. Ran into David Douglas Duncan who said the scene was
comparable to some of the wars he covered.  After Sunday night I
pretty much stayed home and watched on TV. Although I went out again
on Thursday night to drive a buddy of mine,  Paul Sequeira around. He
worked for the late, lamented Chicago Daily News, and on Wednsday
night the cops broke his arm, but not before he got a great shot of  a
cop with a shit eating grin on his face trying to spray mace at  Paul.
Here is a link to some of his 68 convention pictures:

http://www.chitown.com/http/art/abchicago-gal/p-sequeira.html

But, to the credit of Chicago and its Police Department, within a few
years it had cleaned house, and got rid of most of the "bad actors"
from convention week.

And as for the mace spraying  cop, well I got to know him years later.
He was always a great help to photographers, and he became a really
good guy.

So, maybe there is help for the NYPD doughnut eaters.
--
Ken Firestone, W3CAT    Kerry-Courage under fire.
kenf01@gmail.com          Bush-Driving under the influence.

Replies: Reply from msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Protests, Photographers, and the Police)
Message from jon.stanton at comcast.net (Jon) ([Leica] From Editor and Publisher: Reporters hasseled at RNC)