Subject: [Leica] Kyle Cassidy and the NYPD
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Sep 11 07:25:05 2004

Greg Locke offered wise and experienced words!:

>>> First, I most certainly feel for your situation and experience. Been
there,
> done that ...and got the stitches to show for it ...but some great
pictures,
> too. That's the reality of society and our business.
> You have a great story to tell and one that MUST be told to your fellow
> countrymen because .... Well, I won't get into that.<<<<

Demonstrations are news items if you are in the newspaper wire service media
business. You're there because of your assignment not your feelings. I
believe Greg & I have shot them in this fashion as news/wire service
photographers and generally managed to stay out of being clubbed, however
not always. :-)

One thing you learn, I did anyway, was to have a point and shoot camera, I
used a Canon Sure-Shot as my main "action camera" when the baton's were in
action and to avoid one of your Leicas hanging off your neck from getting
smashed. I think some of the other UPC shooters used the same camera?

However, Greg has offered some of the best experienced advice to anyone
wishing to do the "photo demonstration thing" while basically surviving with
yer butt and camera gear intact in your hands. And not looking at the world
between bars!

Now if you are bent on demonstarting and fear not the world who wish you to
go away........ all bets are off and yer on yer own for survival!

> ...although, Ted's suggestion of Goth Grrrls in Bora Bora seems like a
better gig at our age.<<<<<

hell it always seemed like a better assignment even when I was younger! :-)
Probably would've appreciated the "action more!" ;-)

> Second, after being there a few times you will learn to never walk WITH
> protestors and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER get between them and the goons with the
> sticks.

There's so much simple solid common sense advice throughout this post the
gung ho shooters who wish to do picture battle in the middle of a
demonstration might print it out for future reading prior to entering the
fray!

> Sometimes using Leica's helps by not drawing attention to yourself. BUT, 4
SLR's, big lenses and a photo > vest help more at other times because you
WANT to be easily identified and separate from the crowd.<<

For sure!

> This is not about right or wrong but basic street survival. You think NY
was
> bad, you should take in a WTO protest if you want to see the "power of the
> state". The people in your pictures are na?ve, honest folk who believe in
> the ideals of their country and constitution but they got a hard lesson in
> the reality of "democracy". <<<<<<

Oh dear me if you've never __ "done a WTO demonstration" __ these
demonstrators are big time pros, everything and anything goes. As well as
for the guys in uniform who'd make you wish you stayed home when they
decide.... "times-up, clear 'em out!" who have no hesitation at whomping you
a good one wherever the stick will contact! :-(

Not only that, it's the damn tear gas while trying to look through the
camera crying and coughing!
Good posting Greg!
ted