Subject: [Leica] Re: [jp] Shanghai photographs
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Sun Sep 12 08:59:10 2004

>  >Here are the first five pages in my gallery:
>>
>>          http://www.photoethnography.com/gallery/china2004/index.html
>>
>>  Any comments are welcome!
>
>i like how your pages go from red like pictures to the blue. that made
>really delighted me.
>and it's great how the outdoor barbers and the umbrella getting fixed
>are all that blue.

Thank you for the very fast feedback!   The red/blue alternation
wasn't intentional but now that you mention it, I like it too!

>your colors are real nice indeed. it's a fuji film? provia? i never
>tried that before. it's real gentle.

It's mostly Fuji Provia 100F. I use that about 95% of the time.
There's some 400F and some negative film used as well, but I don't
think I've put any of those rolls in the gallery yet. One thing about
Provia 100F is that it essentially has no grain even with my Nikon
LS4000 scanner at full resolution. It's the best film I've found for
scanning and is one reason I haven't gone digital.

Part of the gentleness  also comes from the 35mm Summicron. It's an
old lens, from the 1980s without any aspherical elements. This has
the effect of reducing sharpness and softening the bokeh. Older Leica
lenses have really nice color to them too.

Karen

p.s. My color correction skills still stink. If anyone in the Tokyo
area is a Photoshop expert on the Mac, I need help setting up my
system for ICC color calibration. I have a Spyder but it's only made
things more confusing. Help! I'll buy you coffee while you figure out
my laptop. :-)

--
Karen Nakamura