Subject: [Leica] 1.5GB in a shirt pocket
From: bcaldwell51 at earthlink.net (Bryan Caldwell)
Date: Sun Sep 12 12:22:19 2004

50-60 min. to download a 1gb card seems pretty prohibitive to me.
Especially if you need to be sure your iPod is fully charged before you
begin. Several reviews I read pointed out that if your iPod battery
expires during transfer, everything simply stops - without telling you
what has been transfered and what hasn't. Having to be connected to AC
kind of defeats the purpose.

I'd also be very reluctant to wipe and reuse a 1 gb card in the field
until I'd actually seen the images on my computer screen verifying
their transfer. Apparently in a normal transfer, the iPod/Card Reader
combination does not provide a confirmation. There is a way you can get
it to confirm transfer, but this adds 20-30% to the transfer time.

I have a 40gb iPod I take almost everywhere, but when shooting away
from home, I use a CF to PCMCIA card adapter to load images into my
PowerBook and then, before wiping the card, I also transfer the images
via firewire from the PowerBook to a SmartDisk portable firewire 60gb
hard drive that's easily pocketable or can be stored in the depths of
my suitcase.

iPod as computer substitute backup is a good idea, but I'm not
convinced the bugs have been worked out yet. Of course, if you're only
talking about a 128mb card or a smaller volume of pictures, it will
probably work quite well.

Bryan