Subject: [Leica] Re: AAAARGH! No More Ilfochrome!!!!
From: jcb at visualimpressions.com (JCB)
Date: Thu Sep 16 09:58:35 2004

At 09:23 AM 9/16/2004, Beddoe, Neil wrote:

>I've just realised.  I'm off to buy a freezer.
>
>Neil

And where did you get this info?

Ilfochrome is made in the very profitable Swiss arm of the Ilford company,
and some in GB. It is coated on the same production lines that coat Ilford
inkjet paper. The P3 & P30 chemistry is made in GB but the GB portion of
Ilford is not out of business, it is simply re-structuring and, perhaps,
looking for a buyer.

Ilfochrome is used in many LightJet and Chromira printers worldwide. I know
that they (Ilford) are not going to make the RC version of Ilfochrome any
more (no great loss!,) but I believe the polyester classic (the good stuff)
will be produced for a long time yet. And if they make the paper, they have
to make the chemistry as well.

A Swiss acquaintance called the Swiss Ilford company and got the above info.

So, if you have any direct proof that Ilfochrome will no longer be made, I
would like to know about it, so that I too can go buy yet another freezer.

:-)

JB