Subject: [Leica] Lost Faith in Leica - Ford & F1 Jaguar
From: lambroving at worldnet.att.net (William G. Lamb, III)
Date: Sun Sep 19 10:55:31 2004

Hello Gerry,

Jag's problems have developed under Premier Auto Group management, or lack
thereof. They were forced to build a car on a Ford platform in which they
had no interest. That car is dragging them down. Ford is particularly
incapable of understanding any sort of history or tradition. To Ford, Jag
is just a "brand". They really don't "get it". Jag's heritage is around
Coventry. Closing that plant is a real slap.

At the moment Ford have threatened to close Solihull and move Land Rover
production elsewhere. This plan appears to have been averted. I never
seriously believed it anyway since Ford just invested $1,600,000,000 in the
T-5 line there for the next generation of Land Rover-designed products.
Still..., were Solihull to be closed, the "real" Land Rover would be dead.
It was a huge struggle to get Ford to accept Land Rover's new platform
which is not "shared". The Solihull workers don't make as much trouble as
the Coventry, Longbridge types do either.
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3659946.stm>

 From my own observations selling Land Rovers in the U.S. for eighteen
years, Ford have little understanding of niche marketing and tend to blame
the brand when their own marketing and strategy fails. It never occurs to
Ford to ask anyone who knows how to do it what moves need to come next. In
the Ford corporate culture it would appear that no manager asks a
subordinate for advice. This would appear to be the "kiss of death".

Would agree with Frank that the loss of Cosworth would be a real problem.
All of Jag's modern engines have been Cosworth designs, and the latest
batch of 4,4 Litre V-8's for Land Rover are Cosworth variants of the Jag 4.2.

I knew something was not quite right when Bob Dover retired last year. Bob
had been the Production Director of Land Rover in the mid-eighties and was
hired away to Ford as chief engineer of Jaguar. Many consider Bob
responsible for the Jag Renaissance and the quality result Jag has today.
Bob went on to turn Aston Martin around and then back to Land Rover to run
all three bands from Gaydon. Bob must have seen the "handwriting on the
wall".

William