Subject: [Leica] OT: new scam?
From: leicagalpal at earthlink.net (Kit McChesney)
Date: Sun Sep 19 14:45:28 2004

Y'all--

As an online retailer, I get these types of emails at the rate of, say,
three to five a day? They typically 'seem' to come from places like Nigeria,
or Indonesia, or somesuch. There is a lot of credit card fraud coming out of
southeast Asia. Usually I'm offered more than the price of the 'several'
items they want to buy (usually a half-dozen M7s or Digilux 2s) and they
want them shipped by DHL or some quick service. My response?

'Wire transfer only; when money is received, items ship. Period.'

Anything that sounds too good to be true, usually is. No, I take that back.
Always is.

Don't do anything that doesn't sound real. When a customer from that part of
the world who is legitimate contacts me, and I have clients all over Asia,
it sounds real. They make contact, ask questions, and by the time the
transaction is complete, we have become friends and are talking on a
first-name basis. If I take a credit card, I have their bank's 24 hour
customer service number to verify their billing address. No verification
available? My same old singsong once again:

'Wire transfer only; when money is received, items ship. Period.'

Real folks are more than happy to comply. They also appreciate the
incentives I provide with cash sales. :)

Kit