Subject: [Leica] new 1ds mark II
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Sep 21 14:04:36 2004

Well, because you can and can't see the difference. The problem is that
an image shot with a 5-6 mgp CCD will not give you a 13x19 at anywhere
near 300 dpi - it will give you a 6x8 at about 320 dpi. So for the
bigger prints, you do end up interpolating - which is to say you end up
with Photoshop faking it. Yes, a 5-6mgp processor will produce image
files that can be printed at about 13x19 that will look good at normal
viewing distances. And I've seen images from such a processor printed at
30x40 and they looked good. But what the larger processors will do is
capture that much more original detail - you can blow things up that
much larger without the software 'faking it.'

Whether we need that is another question...When I was sending stuff to
the Globe, they wanted files that were 254 dpi, 7" on the long
side...which is easy with a 5-6 mgp camera. But that's for newspaper
reproduction.

Further, there's the question of the trade off between resolution, file
size, and in-camera processing and storage time. If you're shooting in a
situation where you can't wait for the camera, smaller tends to be
better.

B. D.