Subject: [Leica] The Well Hung Photographer
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Sep 23 09:25:48 2004

Walker Smith said:
> My father used to chuckle whenever he'd see a photographer loaded down
> with several bodies, bags  and such. He commented several times that in
> the days of the Speed Graphic, a press photographer with the camera, a
> few holders and flash bulbs in their pockets never had back problems.
> Then the 35mm came along and many began carrying so much extra gear that
> they developed bad backs from the weight. If the young man in the
> picture doesn't have a bad back now, it's only a matter of time before
> he does if that's his "normal" load.<<<,,,

Hi Walker,
Absolutely! There are more photographers, certainly the older crew today
who've back pain from heavy shoulder bags being carried over the years. It
will also develop one side of your body mass more than the other, also a
stronger side depending which shoulder you consistently carried the bag on.

The photog in the picture wouldn't be carrying all that stuff under normal
"at home shooting" but at an event like the Olympics you have to be in a
photo position maybe 4-5 hours ..."before the event starts" so you'll have a
position due to the great number covering it, so you have to take everything
you own.... But not a tripod as they're not allowed! Period. Monopod or
nothing that's the choice.

But you're right sometime down the road he'll have either knee or back
problems or both and possibly more as it goes with the territory.

ted