Subject: [Leica] Google and Lots of Other Nouns Have Become Verbs
From: buzz.hausner at verizon.net (Buzz Hausner)
Date: Thu Sep 23 14:54:47 2004

Actually, it is very common to convert nouns into verbs in the English
language.  Consider, for instance, "elbow," which became a verb only in
the Nineteenth Century.  "Focus," which comes to us as a noun from the
Latin for fireplace, is first noted as an English verb in the Nineteenth
Century, being applied as a noun to the convergence of light rays only
in 1715.  Google has made a fairly rapid transition from noun to verb,
but it is in an honorable and long linguistic tradition.

        Buzz Hausner