Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica donation to students
From: leicagalpal at earthlink.net (Kit McChesney)
Date: Mon Sep 27 21:57:09 2004

Karen--

Oh, it's okay. We all get a little heated now and again. Part of being
passionate about stuff. And when we are talking about Leica, well, we get a
little more than passionate, don't we? My preciousssssssssssssss, indeed!
;-)

Yes, Leica's national budget is teency-weency. They have managed to get some
very good product placements, though, and I've seen lots of those. That's
great, but it still does require PR help to get that kind of exposure. I
think it would be great if the dealers could form a cooperative association
to work together to help each other out. I help the dealers in my region
when I can, and they do the same for me. We mostly help each other with
product exchanges when Leica is out of something. Some are more open to this
than others. The Southwest region is pretty far-flung, in terms of location.
We have the largest land area, but the smallest population. But dealers do
in-store demos on the Leica Days events, and the regional managers come in
during those times to show equipment and do clean and check events, and that
helps out with sales. Those are usually pretty profitable days for dealers.
I do something along those lines, though being virtual, I can't invite
people into the store. I do other kinds of services, though, that my clients
like.

There needs to be some creative grassrootsy-type guerilla marketing for
Leica. Really out of the box stuff, because Leica is out of the box. I still
like the idea of an ad campaign featuring famous images from famous Leica
photographers, like HCB's man jumping the puddle, etc., or Doisneau's couple
kissing in the street, really famous images that everyone has seen, with
simple copy like 'Photograph by Henri Cartier-Bresson. Engineering by
Leica.' I think I said this already earlier today. Anyway, I have no idea if
the estates of those photographers would allow it, but it would be fun to
educate people by connecting the dots in that way.

Ah, dream on!

Kit