Subject: [Leica] ZeissIkon translation error.
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Tue Sep 28 03:22:18 2004

The guessing and speculation is over, our guesses, in my case most of them
totally wrong, have more or less shown what we want or expect. Zeiss has
revealed what we're getting.

http://www.zeissikon.com/
http://www.zeissikon.com/files/ZeissIkon_brochure_English.pdf

It IS film, but with tantalising references to digital when the time is
right.
It HAS got a long base RF.
It HAS got AE.
It's M-Mount.
Cosina IS very much involved.
It IS a totally different design compared with the R2A/R3A from CV. At least
on
the outside. Film rewind appears to be exactly like the Minolta CLE/Leica CL.

The pdf brochure shows all the lenses (future lenses as line drawings) and
the
top deck of the camera. Also a bunch of finders and lens hoods.

The English text has a translation error in the Film Transport text - lever
should have been translated as rewind crank (R?ckspulkurbel). It is not a
Rapid
wind lever.

Zeiss appears to have been listening to people who have suggested
improvements
for Leica and CV cameras. If they've been reading our mails too they just got
the market research for the next generation too.

I hope it will live up to the advertising text, which more or less insinuates
in every second paragraph, that other M-mount manufacturers (how many are
there
which are not called Cosina or Voigtl?nder ?) are not up to scratch, either
in
body or lens quality. I believe the old Greeks called this "hubris"

Douglas