Subject: [Leica] Rigid Summar
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (feli)
Date: Tue Sep 28 14:37:44 2004

On Sep 28, 2004, at 2:31 PM, Dan Colucci wrote:

> I just bought me a rigid summar...I have always wanted to play with
> one and have been
> fascinated with the physical "look" of the lens itself...
>
> anyone have any in-depth info on the rigid beyond it was only produced
> in small numbers ?

Leica made about 2000 of them. If I remember correctly it was an
attempt to improve
optical performance by reducing the mechanical play induced by the
collapsible
mount.

Leica made a lot of Summars, but production ended in 1940 with the
introduction
of the Summitar which is a much better performer. The Summar is very
flare prone
and soft wide open. That said it has a unique fingerprint that can be
very beautiful
especially in black and white.

Feli

feli2@earthlink.net