Subject: [Leica] New Zeiss Ikon: they know their target...
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Sep 30 06:24:36 2004

You've really got it pegged, Greg - This is so totally obvious from a
marketing point of view. In fact I may be crazy, but I seem to recall a
discussion on the LUG when the Bessa first came out about what an
obvious move it would be for Leica to rebadge, slightly 'heavy-up, and
warranty the then R1/RD2 as Leica entry-level models; a move that was
clearly too obvious for the Gnomes of Solms.

And of course many people bought the Yashica bodies for the Contax
lenses. And as to who ever it was pointing out that Zeiss failed with
their digital SLR system - yup, they did fail. But failing means they at
least tried. And perhaps they failed because they didn't make a serious
enough commitment to it - too few lenses, etc. This time they seem much
more serious - at least from a marketing standpoint.

It's certainly possible, as I've said, that the film camera may just be
a position-holder. But I think the lenses are a serious marketing
venture, as will be a digital body.

B. D.