Subject: [Leica] Re: New Zeiss Ikon
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Oct 1 06:40:25 2004

Hey, Simon...The statement anyone makes with branded accessories
is..."Look at me"...If one owns a Ferrari, and one really owns it
because one loves fast, hot cars, one doesn't need all the branded
accessories. On the other hand, if one owns it to make up for some
deficiency, then wants to yell to the world, "Look at me! I am really,
really hot shit!! I can afford to own a ...Ferrari/Leica/Rollex/case of
Budweiser... ;-)"

I have always avoided branded stuff...Either I like and need the item,
or I don't...

This really is one of those amusing, ironic, LUG moments...Because I can
remember all the discussion over the years that could be summed up with
the line, to paraphrase James Carvil..."It's the glass, stupid!" People
on this list have always told us that a body is just a box onto which
one mounts the incomparable Leica glass. So if some other manufacturer
can give me a really good quality M mount body, which will take my 35
Summ ASPH, or my 28 Summicron ASPH, great! I'd rather save $500 or $1K
on the body and be able to put it into film or glass.

Bottom line - Anyone who would even think about what other people would
think if they saw a Noctilux - or any other lens - on a less expensive
body - is more concerned about their own image than about the images the
lens produces.  ;-)