Subject: [Leica] Billingham Alice bag
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Oct 1 16:24:28 2004

I'm big on Billingham now.

A few days ago at the corner pro shop I bought an Alice bag which was being
priced. On consignment.
75 bucks! Plus it had a matching pouch on each side!
Turns out like I guessed the AVEA pouches themselves don't cost 75 bucks
each new but 50. Close enough!
And the bag goes new for between 150 and 175!!
Although they took the "Alice" off the front of it now if you got a new one
for all us macho photographers who don't like being called "Alice" behind or
in front of our backs. It's called a gender bendering L2 now.

So I I got $275 of Billingham bag (system) for $75!
And a new image!

I thought I'd have one pouch on only one side (symmetry being boring) but
I've taken to putting on no pouches.  And throwing no punches. I keep my
wallet and keys in it too and paperback. And cell phone for when I bring
that.
It's nice to have expandable on each side option.
They really look like part of the bag!

Before my side camera bag I had with me at all time was a Domke F6 Little
Bit Smaller Bag in Oliver North black Ballistic instead of canvas.
It kind of didn't look like a camera bag but it scared people worse anyway.

I referred to it menacingly as my "black bag".
For doing "black bag jobs". But always had it with me anyway.

This one is Boxy and it definitely looks like a rich guy camera bag.
I usually have it behind me and am more careful which streets I walk down.

MADE IN ENGLAND in Jaguar E type green emblazed on the corner of each pouch
and bag.

"Tally ho Alice old chap!"

The green modular compartments are the best I've seen.

I love the brass clasp things.

Zipper less.

Velcro less.

Mark Rabiner