Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Ikon
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Oct 2 16:34:58 2004

I think that's true Steve - because most people are point and shooters.
But if you asked anyone serious enough about photography to consider
buying a Zeiss M mount rangefinder, or a Leica M, they'd damn well know.

Of course I really don't know what started this exchange or what it's
about - Damn drugs! - and I really don't give a rat's poopdeck who wins
the finally shoot out along the Rein... My only point is that it's silly
to think that some Leica magic is going to keep the brand alive with
snakeskin body covers and puce top plates if Zeiss is offering good
quality, more modern features, and a real price break. That's all.

And frankly, when all is said and done seeing leica go down the tubes
makes me feel just a bit sad. One, it makes me feel old, and I'd rather
no feel old. And two, I do associate the brand  with the Giants, and
seeing the brand disappear reminds me of their loss, and of the loss of
the traditions and excellence they represent.

:-)

Oh, and finally Steve - I really like your work, even if you do prefer
cameras that load in weird ways...:-)

B. D.