Subject: [Leica] Zeiss faq on lens quality
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Oct 3 17:11:41 2004

On 10/3/04 2:17 PM, "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> typed:

> <snip>
>
> Q: What is the resolving power of the ZI lenses?
> A: Very high and clearly above the resolution limits set by today's colour
> film and/or scanning devices.
>
> <snip>
>
> In the various Leica lens reviews it is often stated that the best Leica
> lenses exceed the recording capabilities of slow film.
> This suggests to me that their lenses while very good are not as good as
> the
> best from Leicas.
> simon jessurun

Yes but as Erwin just said I think the gap between what the lens companies
say about their glass and how the glass objectively tests out varies.
The Zeiss (credibility) gap has always been the smallest.
Their stuff will test out even better than what they imply perhaps.
While the other companies you divide by two and round it out even lower.

Not so now as this Zeiss 400 spec seems seems ridiculous and is not likely
to be born out.

Will they somehow be better for digital than other glass?

Have they been better corrected for focus shift as you stop down than other
glass?

Lets hope their hype department has not taken over. It was the last glass
company where this was not the case. Other than Leica I hope.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/