Subject: [Leica] SESO: At the Races with My IIIa
From: JohnEdwinMason at gmail.com (J Mason)
Date: Mon Oct 4 18:18:50 2004

Brotheren and Sisteren, I mentioned that last week's announcement of
the new Zeiss rangefinder sent me into fits of nostalgia.

My father owned a Contax IIIa and, not surprisingly, it was the first
serious camera I ever used.  I now own two:  my father's old camera (a
beautiful specimen in pristine condition, which I use only gently and
infrequently) and a battered example that I bought simply because I
can bring myself to use my father's old camera only gently and
infrequently.

My user IIIa and I spent the weekend at the races.  I had a notion
that the camera's 50/1.5 Sonnar would produce some lovely portraits.
Wasn't sure that my metering skills would be up to challenge of tricky
night light, but they seem to have been:

I also wasn't sure that the camera's squinty viewfinder was what I
wanted for reportage shooting.  It's certainly not my M2, but I got
the shots:

On the other hand, I was reasonably confident that large numbers of
young men astride large, fast, dangerous bikes and cars would attract
a proportionate number of attractive young women.

Full SESO (Series Every So Often) is here:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=435670

Details:  Zeiss Ikon Contax IIIa, 50/1.5 Sonnar, Kodak T400CN, cheap
lab scans, PS.

--John
--
J Mason