Subject: [Leica] Re: New Zeiss Ikon
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon Oct 4 23:02:43 2004

yes, lots of people favour the M2, this was good for Leitz because they
were able to standardise on the cheaper M2 rangefinder on subsequent
models. The base of the rangefinders is the same, they used the same
raw components, but since the accuracy is based on the effective base
which equals the physical base times the magnification the M2 (and
subsequent Ms) are in a ratio 0.91:0.72 less potentially accurate. I
say potentially because the effective base gives an idea of how
accurate the rangefinder -can- be. How accurate it actually is also
depends on the accuracy of machining of all the parts therein, the lens
cams, wear etc.
Frank