Subject: [Leica] Kodak closure....
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Tue Oct 5 04:51:56 2004

Over here Kodak is well present in large surface stores (Fnac f.i.) where
they have a workstation present: you put in your CD-Rom, CF, SD, or whatever
medium and a few days later you can go and get your prints.
I'm not sure if there's the option of sending it home, but in a small
country like ours people don't mind to walk a few metres to get into a
shopping centre or so.
We have a few online solutions, too (tried Sony and Spector, didn't try "our
own" Agfa), but they tend to get complicated for a vast number of people:
you have to reformat, download programs, you need bandwith etc, and I don't
think the majority of P&Sers has the time, knowledge or will to do this kind
of stuff.
The above is ofcourse only for the consumer market: biggest sizes are 10x15
(cm) and the quality of a 150 dpi of that size is a shame for cameras with
good lenses, well developed film or good sensors.
I store my (analog and properly scanned or digital) on my harddisk at max
format and dpi tiff format. Very seldom I make prints anymore, and if I ever
would need some, I wouldn't mind having them printed in a pro lab, even at a
higher cost.
---