Subject: [Leica] Re: New Zeiss Ikon
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Oct 5 06:44:40 2004

> Hmmm... you may be onto something.  I ended up selling my 50mm f/1.5
> Nokton because I preferred the smoothness of the 50mm f/2 Summicron.
> Something about the colors / sharpness was diffferent. Difficult to
> put my finger on, but it was a definite difference.

Better lens design?
Better build?
Better materials?
A huge history of quality behind it which makes for a resonance which modern
stuff just doesn't have?

And I think it's like spaghetti sauce.
If you make a 10 gallon bin of spaghetti sauce it doesn't matter what you
put in it its not going to taste as good as if you make a one liter pot in
your kitchen on your stove.
In the a 10 gallon bin range it's going to be Ragu no matter what you do.

I would put Mr. Kobayashi's designs above which normally comes out of Nikon
and Canon but Leica is just the pinnacle and should not expected to be in
the normal running.

And part of this is my previous point. He's product runs are smaller.
    (His ingenuity can't be matched by Nikon/Canon.)

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/