Subject: [Leica] Re: ragu' (lc)
From: john at scocca.org (John Scocca)
Date: Tue Oct 5 11:23:40 2004

Ragu' is the Italian word for stew, which is what Italian meat-based
sauces are made as -- except that the frugal Italian uses less meat and
more fluid phase and stretches  it as a sauce for  pasta.

Ragu' bolognese is made with minced  beef only, often contains some
baciamella (white sauce) as well as tomato, and must be served on egg
pasta, tagliatelle to be exact.  The Bolognesi have a Standard
Tagliatella, made of gold, that has the canonical dimensions displayed
in the city.

A Neapolitan ragu' is made with whole meats and will contain pork both
fresh and as a sausage.  The ragu' which Joe Codispoti  describes, with
three meats is Abruzzese, though they (we) insist on four different
meats, lamb (or mutton)  beef, pork, and fowl (in this country chicken
is common).

The stuff labelled Ragu' (tm) is indeed plonk, fit only for polishing
aluminum pans.

Buon appetitio,

John Scocca

Replies: Reply from joecodi at clearsightusa.com (J. Codispoti) ([Leica] Re: ragu' (lc))