Subject: [Leica] A new album
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Tue Oct 5 15:08:36 2004

Peter Dzwig schrieb:

> To finish up - can anyone tell me exactly what this is please?
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/album70/SteamEngineRudgwick200408
>
> SURELY someone on the LUG has the expertise!!!!
>

> All:  IIIf 5cm f1.5 Summarit Kodak T400CN
>
> Your comments are as always welcome. Thanks for taking the time to look.
>
> Peter Dzwig

What it is is easy Peter.
A stationary steam engine, they were pulled along to where they were
needed by horses, just like hitching a portable generator behind a
Landrover  today. Mainly used for powering threshing machines, balers or
beet-cutters, sometimes in mobile saw-mills too.The expense of having
your own thresher was often defrayed by itinerant threshing companies
with traction engines travelling from farm to farm pulling a whole a
full range of harvesting equipment. Ploughing teams with 2 colossal
Fowler ploughing engines, which pulled heavy ploughs on a wire rope
between them across a field (then moving up for the next set of furrows)
were also common in the area I was born.
Though it is more than likely that this machine would have been used on
a private farm.
It looks to be an english construction, (Ransome, Garrett or Burell?),
and more likely coal-fired than wood or straw. Most of the straw burners
had spark arresters on the funnel.
I'll take a look in my reference stuff tomorrow, maybe there's something
in there.
cheers
Douglas

Replies: Reply from DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp) ([Leica] A new album)