Subject: [Leica] C-41 B&W
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Oct 5 19:32:40 2004

On 10/5/04 11:25 AM, "Kenneth Frazier" <kennybod@mac.com> typed:

>> XP-2, but don't get attached to it.
>
> Ditto, and FP-4+, and don't get attched to it, either!
>
> Ken Frazier

I think the best black and white film today for someone doing a lot of
digital is color neg film.

How much R&D are they going to put into a product with a one tenth of one
percent market possibility?

And with color neg having 99.9999 percent of the market.

I let'em have it their way and use the films they like to make.
Its not is if it cost more money

And I have a hard time saying no to more options.

Its like the difference between shooting raw mode and just tiffs or jpegs.
I like to shoot it raw.
This makes the printing process almost overlapping into the shooting
process.

It's the same when you print monochrome from a color neg.

You filter as if from scratch during the printing process. Instead of
swapping filters during the shooting process..

The information as the the difference between objects as far as color goes
is stored. Not thrown away. I'm all for that. Shades of gray are hard to
separate we need all the help we can get.

You've got the option to use this info to not just make a monochrome print
but a highly de saturated color print which could almost pass as monochrome
at first glance but be slightly more satisfying in that regard,

Instead of a sepia print you can leave the sky cool.

That kind of stuff.
And you can buy a roll in a plaid pantry at 3 AM.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/