Subject: [Leica] Bought a bottle of beer instead of walking
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Wed Oct 6 05:19:44 2004

Daniel Ridings wrote:

>  It was pouring yesterday, so before I left the office
> and bought a bottle of beer on my way home:

> http://folk.uio.no/danielr/images/041006/IMG_1369.jpg
> http://folk.uio.no/danielr/images/041006/IMG_1392.jpg

Hi Daniel,

It was pouring outside, so you were also pouring inside ?  :-)
(Apologies to Verlaine's  "Il pleure dans mon coeur comme
il pleut sur la ville ...".  One of my favorite rain poems).

The colors look a bit cross-processed, a bit like one of
a Polaroid instant color films.  It's funny though how people
try to get "accurate" colors on film, print, screen, etc.
I cannot say I have seen anything on such media that
is accurate, in terms of colors, unless of course the subject
is a blank wall.  On the other hand, your shots here don't even
seem to try.  :-)

The current issue of LensWork magazine which I have right
in front of me, together with my coffee, and which is an excellent
issue of an excellent photo magazine, reminds me of you.
 First there is a fantastic B&W portfolio shot
with a Rolleiflex TLR, spanning 40 years or so.  And second,
in the very same portfolio, there is a very nice photo of a man
pushing a wheelbarrow cart which is reminiscent of yours
from a hotel balcony in, if I am not mistaken,  Dar es Salaam.
Check it out if you have a chance.  If you cannot get LensWork
conveniently in Scandinavia, let me know.

Cheers,

- Phong

Replies: Reply from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Bought a bottle of beer instead of walking)