Subject: [Leica] 75mm 1.4 - Any pics?
From: mattmorgan1 at mac.com (Matt Morgan)
Date: Thu Oct 7 17:40:52 2004

Greg,

I know, but I hate selling. Just don't like the process, and the
thought of wasting so much money as I bought it at top dollar brand new
in the UK. I can't remember exactly, but it would have been around
?1600-?1700., which is what, $2,500?. I'll get nowhere near that back,
and also I've moved to Australia where the market is a lot smaller for
second-hand, plus my perception is that the recent step up in
professional digital has limited the market and prices further. I
actually called the local pro-store here to discuss selling. I had sold
my Hasselblad through them years ago and they always had Leica gear.
The guy stopped me on the phone and simply said they don't sell any
second-hand anymore, there is just no market for it here.

The eBay and photographic trader options don't appeal to me and I doubt
anyone overseas is going to want  such a valuable piece shipped from
Australia. I do have the option of taking it back to Bulls Yard in
London when next I'm there and maybe getting rid of it.

The other thing is, if I sell it to buy a cheaper lens, then the money
I actually lose on the Leica won't really mean I've gained much except
that I've got less of a lens. I actually had hoped to acquire a Nikon
digital like the D100 with the sale proceeds, but I'm going to try and
make it work for me first. That's why I've rejoined this list and
started looking at a lot of photographs again, just to get inspired and
enthused to get out there.

Having just bought a semi-decent film scanner, for the first time I'm
actually getting lots of negs that haven't seen the light of day for
years, let alone  printed, into the computer. Looking at these shots on
a 23" screen has really captured some of the old enthusiasm and magic.

I know it can come across to some people that its a bit of a slack
attitude with such a prime piece of kit, but I would have to say that
these things are relevant to situations and circumstances at the time.
I bought the lens when the money wasn't such a big deal to me, but I
couldn't do the same thing now.

Matt.