Subject: [Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Oct 7 19:48:34 2004

Tim Atherton offered:
Subject: RE: [Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane

 > They certainly will - I've had two sets of padlocks cut off just such
cases
> by security with the cases just left unlocked. I now use plastic
> electrical
> ties with some spares left inside in the top with a note. On one occasion
> they used the spares the other most recent time they didn't. They also, on
> one occasions, put lenses back without lens caps squashed into open
> compartment thus scratching both lenses elements. But at least two out of
> three times I fly with such gear as checked baggage it is opened<<<

Hi Tim,
Well they do cut the locks off, even when left unlocked and all they have to
do is unhook it off the bag, re-place the lock hopefully locking it.
However, this takes a bit more than kindergarten education! The unfortunate
thing is some of these people don't care what they do. As it's all in the
name of "National Security" bull shit.

Apropos the 2 M7's broken last March when someone tried to push down on the
shutter release and obviously couldn't make anything happen because the
shutter releases were in the locked position. So they must have just pushed
harder and harder until something gave! Yeah the insides of the camera
physically breaking the metal in the body below the shutter release!.

I still have not had any response to my paper work other than the initial
e-mail explaining they took absolutely no responsibility for damage.
However, if I wished to further make a claim it required a sworn statement
from my lawyer that the damages as described had taken place during a
security check etc etc etc.
Well all that was done and still no response!

What was worse, I left the case unlocked and hoped I'd see it when I got to
Phoenix. yep it was all there, but the guts were in pieces!

Sunday when I leave for Boston? I'm carrying an M7 and Digilux 2. Then all I
have to worry about is watching the gear as I go through security that
someone doesn't rip it off before my eyes! And of course the ever diligent
security service!

welcome to flying in the modern world of travel! :-(

ted