Subject: [Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Oct 8 08:44:00 2004

Kenneth Frazier asked:

> What I do not know about is what I can expect with my M6, FE2, lenses,
> and film: i.e., should I bag the film separately, in a large baggie?
> should I not put film in the cameras? etc.  This may be old hat for some
> of you, but it is not for me.  I've invested a lot of money in my Leica
> gear, and I don't want to take chances with it.
>
> I need the experience of you folk to help me plan for my upcoming
> flight.<<<<<<,

Hi Ken,
Stay relaxed walk up to the security desk put the camera bag and film down
on the belt then pick it up after you've cleared the walk through scanner.
Everything will be cool. You may have to wait while some security person
"swabs" the bag inside with a little swab of cloth. It just makes it look
all official and serious like.

If you've got film in the camera.. Everything will be OK. The scanners do
nothing to the cameras nor lenses and certainly nothing to film up to 800.
Been this routine more times than I can remember.

Today I remove all film from containers and throw the containers away. Load
film into clear zip-lok freezer bags. Now if you're one of those people who
must carry your film in the containers for whatever reason, then throw the
empties into your checked baggage and when you arrive at destination re-load
the rolls back into them. Quite frankly one big pain in the ass and a
terrible waste of valuable shooting time.

Other than that, have a good flight relaxed knowing your camera gear is at
your feet along with the film. And not on it's way to some pawn shop! ;-)

ted

Message from jplaurel at nwlink.com (Jim Laurel) ([Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane)