Subject: [Leica] Re: bags on planes, now going minimal
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Oct 8 19:20:55 2004

Greg Locke said:
> It ain't the same, guys.<<,,

Greg mon ami, IT SURE ISN'T!

And there in  lies the difference between the amateurs of great wisdom, who
are completely clueless when it comes to working as professionals and those
of us with years and years of experience working as professional
photographers..

I mean, they go on a once a year holiday to visit Aunt Minnie and figure
they have all the answers to this travel thing compared to those of us on
the list who are professionals. Who work with editors who accept no excuse
and nothing but the best and don't give a flying hoop about airline and or
security bull shit.... they just want pictures! Period! Not excuses!!!

Or our own professionalism that will not accept second best to survive.
Therefore, we take our tools, that's what all these damn Leica cameras are,
merely tools of the trade, not some glorified over priced bauble hanging
around our neck as a piece of jewellery.

And if that means every damn lens and camera goes, then so be it!  We take
everything as we're not paid to come back with wimpy excuses about security
bull. Or worse, "make do with what you have!" The most important thing for
us is, to end run every damn block and arrive on sight wherever that maybe,
with everything required to carry out the assignment to best of our
professional ability!

I mean I've read most of this crap about what we should or should not carry,
use film, not computers, cell phones or sat.. phones by those who don't have
a clue what this kind of life is all about. Therefore, they should damn well
keep their mouths shut! That is until they put some real time into the
profession!

And I haven't begun to fight!

So lets have a bit of compassion here for those who make their living
travelling to every other damn country in the world as photographers and
weekly put up with this so called airline - airport - government security
bull shit laid on us by a bunch of fear mongers!

But damn it, for professionals it's become the biggest pain in the ass one
could ever imagine. And the worse problem is trying to find a KISS answer to
keep it simple! And not have all our gear or portions of it ripped off!

Ok I'll relax now and go have my Lagavullin! :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard F. Man) ([Leica] Re: bags on planes, now going minimal)