Subject: [Leica] Re: Brickbats
From: geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee)
Date: Mon Oct 11 04:32:32 2004

source www.dictionary.com

brick?bat    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (brkbt)
n.
A piece, especially of brick, used as a weapon or missile.
An unfavorable remark; a criticism.

----
[brick + bat1 piece of brick.]
Word History: The earliest sense of brickbat, first recorded in 1563, was "a
piece of brick." Such pieces of brick have not infrequently been thrown at
others in the hope of injuring them; hence, the figurative brickbats (first
recorded in 1929) that critics hurl at performances they dislike. The
appearance of bat as the second part of this compound is explained by the
fact that the word bat, "war club, cudgel," developed in Middle English the
sense "chunk, clod, wad," and in the 16th century came to be used
specifically for a piece of brick that was unbroken on one end.

gb