Subject: [Leica] My new R8 arrived !
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Mon Oct 11 08:48:21 2004

Well after 3 weeks my new (Demo) R8 arrived, while i was in Baltimore,
Maryland area.  So it was waiting for me when I got home Friday.  First
impression, it sure is bigger than my R4SP.  But that is where the
negatives stop, it is a perfect fit in the hands and operates just like
you would expect a Leica to work.  Smooth and precise.  Shutter is much
quieter than the R4 and its family series, more like the SL I have.
Viewfinder is superb, and the film advance reminds me of the M cameras in
smoothness and feel.  I have not completed the first roll of film yet as
SWMBO had a long list of things for me to do since I have been gone a lot
lately, but soon.  I am trying out the different modes and the matrix
metering, since it is new for me and I want to see how it works under
different conditions.  Controls are just perfectly laid out, a real nice
design.  BD, yes it does not have Autofocus and a built in motor drive,
but they are not needed in my opinion.  I may eventually want the motor,
but it is easily added.  Although if I get the Digital Back, which is one
of the reasons for getting the R8, the motor would not be needed.  On the
other hand the Wife has told me that the Digital Back is some time off in
the distant future!  ;-)  It seems I have spent my allotment of camera
money for the next several years.  I will have to work on this problem.

Photos to come, I am way backlogged in scanning my negatives.

Gene

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] My new R8 arrived !)
Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re: My new R8 arrived !)
Reply from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] My new R8 arrived !)