Subject: [Leica] rapidwinder/M2 question
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Tue Oct 12 09:14:04 2004

I am a little confused by your description but it does not sound
normal. The gear slipping sound/feel if you hit the rewind button
during winding is normal but it should do it with both the RW and the
normal wind. It is not a good thing to do by the way.

The M2 RW has a built in clutch which will slip under heavy loads. Tom
put it there for some reason I cannot recall right now. Instead of a
smooth single stroke to wind on the camera, it gives a notchy feel
which requires multiple strokes to finish the wind. It only comes into
play if you try to "slam" the wind (which you can do with the normal
RW).

Hope this helps,

John Collier