Subject: [Leica] Geesh - and we though camera people had it tough
From: locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke)
Date: Tue Oct 12 18:10:18 2004

Guys,

I totally accept Walkers comments. He is right to love and defend a
perceived attack on his country. But that was not what I did. A country is
more than its politics...WAY MORE.
I am a journalist. It's my job (and nature) to facilitate and engage in
intelligent discussion on all things social and cultural. I was commenting
on the current state security and political hysteria.

...but to defend one actions or government by talking about a 50 year old
war (long before I was born) has no relevance in a discussion with me. The
point is that we were suppose to move one, learn from the ugliness of the
past and stop using it as an excuse or defence for anything.

As I pointed out to someone offlist, I love the people of the United States
(I have a lot of family there) I love the ideals of the US constitution and
this is why I comment. If I didn't care I would not have said anything.
I USED to love travelling in the USA  and I miss it.

I am not criticizing the American people but the current state politics
which allows a government to tread all over the constitution and freedoms of
people who I care about and are supposed to be the pinnacle of freedom and
democracy to the world.

Remember, just because one loves one's country and people doesn't mean it
has to defend, agree with or condone the actions of ones government or
political class. There is a difference between the people and the state.

Don't be too hard on Walker, he has his beliefs and is entitled to them.
This is a right enshrined in that wonderful constitution. It's just a matter
of a/ he believes everything the authorities do is fine or b/ he doesn't
feel that citizens should criticize their government. Either way, he fine
with that and so be it.

As for airport security, it's not a matter of having security or not. It's a
matter of doing it in an intelligent and effective manner inorder catch bad
guy and not to assault your innocent citizens while trying to protect them.
It defeats the purpose and only turns the citizenry against you.

The USA is currently a country seriously divided almost evenly along
political lines, polarizing quickly and it may well be facing the most
important election in its history. The outcome of which will have a
significant impact on the rest of the world as well.

....civility and reason come first.

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
http://blog.greglocke.com