Subject: [Leica] Digital "crop factor"
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu Oct 14 11:44:23 2004

I take exception.  Historically, the 8x10 camera preceded the 4x5.  No one
compared the relationship of the negative sizes  by "crop factor."  You use
the same lenses that were designed for the 8x10 negative, but the negative
size is different.  Same is true of a Minox and an 8x10.

Yes, I do understand the issue with 35mm users and the supreme desire to get
wide.... and being frustrated by the smaller "film size".  But OTOH, if you
were a sports photographer, you would be happier than a clam as your 300mm
lens becomes an instant 450 because of a smaller "film size".

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

When crop factor and relevant sensor size is being discussed, its
being discussed in relation to the 35mm form factor.  That's a bit
different than comparing a Minox to an 8x10 view camera.  The
comparison to 35mm might not be terribly relevant when you're talking
about fixed lens digital camera, but it is when you are talking about
a digital camera that takes lenses originally designed for 35mm film
cameras.

Replies: Reply from jackherron at cox.net (Jack Herron) ([Leica] Digital "crop factor")