Subject: [Leica] Say Hello to Hermes Leica AND crop factor
From: lowiemanuel at yahoo.ca (Emanuel Lowi)
Date: Thu Oct 14 16:52:08 2004

Stephen Gandy wrote (in part):

> One of  Cohn's biggest faults, on the other hand,
> was  throwing good money after bad
> by  investing  in the no sales R system

This is just a wild guess, but I wonder whether Solms
decided to keep the R line going and developed the R
digital back before tackling the digital M because:

1) They saw a relatively quickly viable way to adapt
an existing product (the R8/R9) to the new technology,
rather than design a whole new camera.

2) They realized that given the sensor size
restrictions and resultant crop factor, users would be
happier with a digital R, with its available
ultra-wides and the 21-35 zoom.

With the crop factor of the future digital M, there
will no doubt be considerable displeasure until new
fast wide lenses become available from somewhere.

I agree with Stephen that if prices increase soon,
there are lousy times ahead. Who will pay more than
current new USA prices?

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal