Subject: [Leica] Re: 50mm 1.5 Summarit
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Thu Oct 14 23:19:59 2004

In a message dated 10/14/04 10:52:28 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

> I am thinking about getting a leica 50mm summarit
> with imperfect coating, but no fog, good
> condition,? to nurture/aquire a certain soft and
> old look...
>
> I am about to try one out...anyone with
> experience or comments? ?
Steve,

I've been using a 50mm Summarit for years with my M3. "Soft and old look"?
Try to find McKenna's photo essay on Dylan Thomas at a good library. She did
great job with a Summarit. I think David Duncan used a Summarit on an at
home
with Picasso book. Picasso was quite a showman. What I find in a Summarit
image
is an intimate quality. My Summarit has a perfect coating, well protected by
a good UV filter. If you want to do a Hollywood mellow portrait use one of
those Marlene Dietrich filters on any lens. I want to caution you, be
prepared
for hard focusing because at least my Summarit was made to very close
tolerances. I never focus the Summarit at the viewfinder. I always preset
the focus. I
had Leitz remove some of the oil to make my Summarit somewhat easier to
turn.
It's one of the best people lenses I've ever used. My Summarit was
calibrated
in meters. Like most Leitz lenses, it will probably last forever. Try to get
the rectangular clamp-on lens shade designed for it.

Best,
Bob