Subject: [Leica] A Brief History of NFLD for John
From: locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke)
Date: Fri Oct 15 11:28:08 2004

Indeed, there are provisions in the various acts by which the provinces
joined or formed Canada, both historic and current for the withdrawal of a
province from confederation. Like the US states not all joined at the same
time and each had its own "Terms of Union" negotiated with the federal
government.

Quebec has been trying since the 1960's through various referendums
(refendii?) to separate from Canada and form a sovereign state ...or at
least some sort of bi-federation with Canada. So far the people of Quebec
feel that if they keep "talking tough" they'll get what they really need
within Canada anyway ...which drives the politicos who are into the nation
state ideology crazy.  The people keep electing them to run the provincial
government, send separatist MP's to Ottawa but always vote against
separation in the referendum.

Newfoundland has not yet come to that position yet but with 50+ years now to
look back on a lot of people are asking if it was worth it.  No referendum
date set yet :^)

...but a majority vote in Quebec or Newfoundland, in theory, could do it.

I have witnessed many countries fall apart and be born in my 20 year career
to never rule anything out.

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
http://blog.greglocke.com