Subject: [Leica] Digital "crop factor"
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Oct 15 17:32:41 2004

> The only reason that 'crop factor' is meaningful, really, is because it
> is in general easier to design a particular lens having a particular
> resolution, etc. when the coverage is less. For example the Schneider
> Super Symmar XL 150/5.6 -- considered an *exceptional* super wide angle
> for the 8x10 format ... aspheric yada yada yada, with lots and lots of
> lpmm **for 8x10** but if you were to slap this on a 35mm it would be a
> downright dud ... super expensive, slow, low resolution etc.
>
> So basically for the APS-c factor you are 'paying for' a 35mm format
> lens but only the APS-c lpmm.
>
> Jonathan

Actually come to think of it you were comparing sheet film formats and I was
comparing roll film formats.
And in sheet film formats it is quite common to use a lens designed for say
5x7 film to shoot 4x5.
And when doing that to use the term "crop factor" does not sound way off.

But Hasselblad glass to Leica glass does.

ON family road trips when I was 12 it was '63 and my dad had a Contarex and
I was saving up for my first Hasselblad we'd have discussions or arguments
as to which was better; Contarex or Hasselblad.
And Hasselblad was pushing it's 35mm back at the time.
There were pictures of it everywhere in brochures and catalogs.
It seems to me that for that short while they were considering having this
be a definite option. I didn't know it was temporary if that.

So I'd say I could shoot 35mm any time I wanted to on my Hasselblad but also
have the option for medium format.

And my dad would tell my the Hasselblad glass wasn't going to make for a
nice 35mm image.
And I was telling him he was nuts how could that be possible.
And I was twelve.

And he was (at least his friends thought) thought to be up for a Nobel or
some such prize for a big thing he just did. In medicine.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/