Subject: [Leica] RD 1 Further Impressions after two weeks of Use
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Sat Oct 16 01:00:59 2004

Dear Luggers,
I have now been using my RD1 and various Leica lenses for two weeks and
have formed some more impressions that I would like to share with you.
For in the street shooting, nothing can beat the Tri Elmar. Its three
focal lengths are matched with the three frame lines you can dial up on
the RD1. The relatively slow speed of the Tri Elmar doesn?t matter so
much; as the light goes down you just dial in a higher and higher ISO.
Speaking of light, the auto white balance does not work so well in
lower light levels and you need to set it manually if you are working
at lower levels. For sun and shade, auto balance works quite well. Of
course, in low light the Tri Elmar comes off and either the 35 Summilux
Asph or the 50 Summilux goes on. Low light capability is really
phenomenal when you combine these fast lens with ISO 1600 and despite
the infinity focusing problem I mentioned in my first impressions ? I
am not having a significant problem focusing close up and in low light
with the fast lenses. Several people have contacted me off list with
their stories of focusing problems and rangefinder misalignments but I
don?t know if they are representative of a wide enough sample to form
any conclusions yet whether Epson has a quality control problem at the
factory with the rangefinder adjustment. I hope not. Epson hasn?t
contacted me yet about my replacement camera ? it seems they can?t keep
any inventory in stock in Hong Kong. The camera can be set for several
different combinations of image types. The standard type settings are
Edge Enhance, Saturation, Tint and Contrast all medium, noise reduction
on low ? this is the default.
After experimenting I find that I prefer Edge Enhance, Saturation,
Contrast, and noise reduction on High and Tint on medium ? this gives
more ?punch? to my photos. As Tom A. mentioned in his posting, the RD1
also has a mono setting and in B&W you can dial in clear, yellow,
orange, green and red filters and take pictures and review the filter
effects immediately. Given the smog most days in Hong Kong at this time
of year, when I shoot scenics in B&W the red filter stays on all the
time. The B&W photos look great on my computer screen and I think I am
going to have to upgrade my Epson 1290 if I am going to get B&W prints
that mirror (at least somewhat) the tonal quality on the screen. I took
the RD1 to Macao in the middle of the week when my wife and I went over
to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and there in street shooting
I found myself using the Panasonic LC 1 more than the RD1, at least in
the daylight hours. The LC 1 is very versatile with its 28 ? 90 zoom
equivalent. What I would like to see in another generation of M mount
digital cameras is an amalgam of the LC 1 and the RD 1. I would like to
see a body with a screen that could show the image formed by a Leica M
lens on the CCD before the picture is taken and I would like that
screen to be rotating and tilting like the Canon G5 screen so that I
could use the camera like a waist level view camera. Of course, the
screen resolution would have to be high, in order to ensure accurate
focusing with wide aperture Leica lenses ? but that is what I would
like next please. Epson? Leica?
Cheers
Howard (in smoggy Hong Kong)

Replies: Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] RD 1 Further Impressions after two weeks of Use)