Subject: [Leica] Digital "crop factor"
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Oct 16 05:36:08 2004

The last point is certainly true, and it is also true that in that 21-35
range there are phenomenal Leica lenses. I would suggest, however, that
certainly the Canon 24 1.4 and 35 1.4 are competitive in the wide range,
and the Nikon 35 1.4 manual is pretty damn good. One think that I think
has happened, and I don't claim any expertise when it comes to optics,
is that other manufacturers seem to be catching up with Leica. I know
that when I first got my 21 ASPH I was blow away by it - and still am.
Certainly the Nikon 21, though good, wasn't as distortion free, and God
knows the 17-35 zoom, as truly excellent as it is, can't compete at 21
with the Nikon asph. However, I was truly shocked to see that the 11-22
2.8/3.5 zoom for the Olympus E-1 is definitely competitive at 11 mm (22
35 equiv) with the 21 asph. (I know, I know, they gave me the lens.
Believe me or don't - but keep in mind that I have been more than
willing to provide both positive and negative assessments about the
equipment). In fact, it is so competitive in terms of image quality and
lack of distortion, that the only reason I have not yet offered up my 21
ASPH for sale is that I'm not yet sure whether I'll be going for a
digital m mount camera. And obviously if I do buy one, I'll want that
21.